Your First Exam
At your first dental visit a complete dental exam will be done by your dentist. At that time and at following regular check-up exams, your dentist will include:
• Diagnostic x-rays: to check for decay,bone loss, tooth positions, and other potential oral pathology.
• Oral cancer screening: to check your lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums.
• Gum disease evaluation: to check your gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
• Examination of tooth surfaces to check for decay.
• Examination of existing restorations
Professional dental cleanings (scaling, root planing and polishing) are done by our registered dental hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by the dentist and:
• Removal of calculus: Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and will be firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and may be removed with appropriate dental instruments.
• Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that causes tissue inflammation, and if left untreated will lead to periodontal disease.
• Teeth polishing: Removes stain and plaque.